Scale is a rapidly growing post-Series B startup. Our mission is to accelerate the development of AI applications. Our first product is a suite of APIs that allow AI teams to generate high-quality ground truth data. Our customers include Alphabet (Google), Zoox, Lyft, Pinterest, Airbnb, nuTonomy, and many more, and we've become an industry standard for the self-driving car market.
About the role
We're looking for a high caliber engineer with client facing experience and/or interest in working closely with our customers -- the leading AI companies driving disruption in self-driving, robotics, AR / VR, and more -- to ensure they are successful in using our platform & data services. As a Forward Deployed Software Engineer, you will develop deep relationships with customers' Perception, Computer Vision, and/or Machine Learning teams to understand model development plans and requirements and ensure Scale is doing all we can to help them meet their goals. You will sit at the nexus of sales, customer success, operations, and engineering, and will work cross-functionally to ensure customer's technical needs are met. You naturally bias towards breaking problems into their composite parts, and prioritizing actions that will ensure our customers' success working with Scale. Finally, you have a customer focused mindset, and are motivated to own problems expansively as you push to grow both our customers and the company.
- Partner with Customers' Perception and Vision team to understand their model development requirements, and translate them into data labeling requirements
- Partner with Scale's Sales & Success teams to build deployment plans as part of pre-sale pilots, and ensure our product & operations meet Customer needs
- Advise Customer teams through on-boarding, and remove technical blockers to accelerate full scale deployment
- Thought-partner with Customers' senior technical stakeholders, and proactively advise / share Scale best practices regarding labeling
- Channel customer insights / voice into market requirements and customer-specific requirements for Scale's future product roadmap
- Partner with Marketing to evangelize Scale through white papers, blog posts, speaking engagements and events
- 2-5+ years experience in a software engineering or machine learning research role (including academic experience)
- Effective at debugging unfamiliar code and writing quick scripts
- Fluent in Python or another programming language
- Ability to independently design, develop and deliver software products
- Presentation skills with a high degree of comfort speaking with senior technical executives and front-line engineers
- High level of comfort communicating effectively across internal and external organizations
- Ability to travel 10-20% of the time
Key Behavioral Traits
- Experience with relevant industries, such as autonomous mobility or robotics
- Experience working with computer vision, perception, and/or machine learning teams
- Experience with deep learning
- Relentlessness: Gets things done, undeterred by roadblocks, enjoys creative problem solving
- Initiative: Will take initiative to fix a variety of problems, whether it be a suboptimal process or buggy script. Not satisfied with the status quo.
- "Schleppiness": Embraces "grunt work" because that's often needed to get things done
- High learning rate: Recognizes gaps in knowledge and always working hard to learn more. Not afraid to quickly dive into new areas
Scale is an equal opportunity employer. We aim for every person at Scale to feel like they matter, belong, and can be their authentic selves so they can do their best work. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.